Salted Caramel Blackberry Brownies
Sorry. Too much? A magician came to one of my classes today to lecture us on the art of deception, and I just couldn’t get this out of my head. Plus, these brownies are actually magic.
Day two of blackberry week brings us these. Salted caramel blackberry brownies. Crazy, I know. I’ve made these a couple times now, and each time I took them to my office people quickly said that they normally don’t like blackberries, but they did in these brownies. Magic.
The brownie itself is spongy and fudgy. You can add more flour if you want to make them denser, but I like the airy texture to complement the berries. The caramel that makes its way to the edges of the pan bakes up into a chewy “crust.”
There’s no need to coat the blackberries in flour before mixing them in. The brownies aren’t deep enough for you to have to worry about the berries sinking. If you go with an 8×8 pan instead of the 9-incher I used, just remember to up your baking time a little bit.
Everything in these brownies, to sum it up, is delicious. Blackberries. Salted caramel. Dark cocoa. Wow. Layers of flavor and texture and goodness.
So, do you believe in magic?
– 1/2 cup margarine
– 1/2 cup granulated sugar
– 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
– 3/4 cup extra dark cocoa powder
– 2 eggs
– 1 teaspoon vanilla
– 1 teaspoon baking powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 6 oz. container blackberries
– 3/4 cup caramel sauce
– Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a 9-inch square pan with parchment paper.
– Place margarine, sugars, and cocoa powder in a heat-proof bowl and microwave until margarine is melted. Stir until smooth.
– Add eggs and vanilla, incorporating until smooth. Stir in baking powder, salt, and flour fully.
– Add blackberries to brownie mixture and carefully fold in.
– Pour half of the brownie batter into the prepared pan. Spoon caramel over top in an even layer. Spread remaining brownie batter on top.
– Bake 25-30 minutes until a tester comes out clean.
– Let cool in pan completely before removing and enjoying.